Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sports Thematic Unit


Sports Theme


Badminton- We introduced different types of sports this month and since badminton is one of them. We decided to play an easier version of badminton. We made our own paper plate rackets with drum sticks. Then used balloons as our shuttlecock. Then we were ready to go! It was great workout for the kids!





Frisbee- This was also an easy craft and all we need is some paper plates. I handed each child 2 paper plate and ask them to design them however they want. We had some great designers in the class :) Then I attached two paper plates together and the kids were all very excited when it was time to play with their Frisbee outside!






Outing- Since we're learning about Sports this month, our outing was to the Tien Mu Sports park. It's a great park with many playgrounds and the children were all very excited. We played some soccer and had a relay race! We were very lucky because the weather was wonderful that day! :)






Volleyball- This was the Kangaroo's class' first time playing volley ball. We set up the net in our outdoor playground and we used the beach ball instead of the real volleyball, because I figured it would be easier for kids' to play. This class is pretty athletic, they did pretty good on their try! :)





Baseball song-We've been singing many sports related songs this month and one of the popular one amongst is “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”. Great song for this theme!


Football Player Craft-I think this is one of the cutest craft I've done with the kids this year. I saw this idea on Pinterest and I thought I had to make it with the kids and they all loved it. We painted styrofoam balls as helmets and I took pictures of each child and asked them to show a mean and tough-looking face as a football player. Then glued the Styrofoam ball to a milk bottle. I cut out the football jersey for the kids and they picked their favorite number to put on the jersey. We also added hands and a football in the end! I loved how they turned out!







 
Flipping the egg (Game)- This was a game we played to practice our sentence patterns in the sports theme “What are they playing?” “They are playing____”. I asked two kids to come up to play and they were supposed to flip over the eggs and look at the pictures on the back and practice “They are playing _____.” They had fun flipping the eggs with the spatula.
 



Baseball Pinata- Pinata is always a fun game for the class. I made the baseball pinata with balloon, newspaper and white glue. I mixed the white glue with water and then dipped the newspaper in the mixture and glued it onto the balloon. Then waited for a day or two to dry and painted a baseball. I put some cookies and snack inside the pinata. The children had a great time trying to break the pinata with the stick and get the snack inside. 
 



 
 
 


 




2 comments: