Friday, December 6, 2013

Children's Storybook Sharing Time


Story Sharing Time



    I had some time after work today and decided to swing by a bookstore to get some children books. I remember going to an English Teacher's Conference not too long ago and there was a speaker named Catherine Wu
(吳敏蘭 ) who is the Dean of Academic Affairs of the CATS educational organization in Taiwan. Her talk was very inspiring and interesting. She introduced many great story books for young children (kindergarten aged) and she made me realize how important it is to have story time in my classroom. I already bought a few books last time and the kids loved them a lot! So I bought some more books she recommended after work today and I hope my kids would love them as well.



1. Puff the Magic Dragon
 
After reading this story to the class, I fell in love with the song. This is a touching story and a little sad in the end, but the melody of the song is very moving. The kids could hum to the tune after listening to it the second time. I highly recommend this storybook to parents and teachers.
Puff the Magic Dragon Song
 
 
 

2. Port Side Pirates!
 
  Haven't read this one to the class yet, but decided to buy it after listening to the song in the bookstore.
 
 

3. Dirty Bertie
 
  This is a really funny book teaching kids not to be dirty. It teaches the kids in a funny way with great illustrations! :)  We got a lot of giggles in the class.
 
 

4. How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
 
  This is also a really funny book teaching kids about table manners. Kids love dinosaurs and the dinosaurs in the story do a lot of silly things when they're eating. The kids loved it!


5. I've seen Santa
 
  Haven't read this to the class yet. I'm thinking to read it soon since Christmas is coming! :)
 
 



All of these books are great and some of them even include great songs and CD. However, I also liked “Knuffle Bunny”  by Mo Willems and “Now one foot, now the other” by Tomie dePaola a lot! After I read them to the class, they all enjoyed them and some even asked me to read them again the next day. This is what I wish to give to the children, to help them develop their interests in reading and hope one day, it will become their life time tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment