Monday, December 16, 2013

Making Farm Animal Costumes with Kids!


Making Farm Animal costumes with kids!



   One project I wanted to do for the thematic unit on “Farm Animals” is making the farm animals costumes. I got this idea from one of the teachers at my school. She suggested to use raincoats and I wanted to let the kids get involved in the process of making them. At first, I thought it would be a difficult task and had no idea how to do it. Then I did some research on kids animal costumes and saw some really cute ones. At last, I finally decided on what kind of farm animals I wanted to make and what the kids can do. I divided the class into 4 groups and each group is in charge of one animal!



Moo Moo Cow



I found an old white long sleeved shirt I didn't need anymore and ask the kids in this group to cut out random black spots from construction paper. Since some kids didn't have such great cutting skills yet, I told them to draw about the shapes first and then cut. The next step is to glue on the black spots on the shirt. To finish up this project, I make a cow hat for the kids. They look very cute in the costume and they had a lot of fun participating in the project!



                                               


 

 
 


Duck



For the duck costume, I cut out the shape of the duck body from yellow construction paper and eggshell at the bottom along with duck feet. The kids who were in this group had to cut out feather shapes from yellow paper. Then they had to glue on the feather on both front and back of the ducks. This was not very hard for the kids in my class and it was a great activity to train their find motor skills. Then I made a duck mask for them using yellow and orange paper plate. The kids love how it turned out!




 
 

Pig



For this project, I cut out the shape of the pig's body and since the pigs like to roll in the mud, I took the time to explain why they like to roll in the mud and that's what they were supposed to do for this costume. I wanted them to get their muddy handprints all over the pig. The kids had fun getting their hands dirty and messy with paint and making the pig costume. To finish off, I had them paint the ears headband and a pig snout with paper cup. The finished product was awesome!

 
 


Sheep



We bought a lot of cotton on our field trip to the fabric market last month and I thought it would be great to use it for the sheep costume. I cut out the shape of the body of both front and the back of the sheep with black construction paper. The kids who were in charge of this project had to roll the cotton into small cotton balls. They had to finish rolling all the cotton balls before gluing them on. My Chinese teacher helped the kids with this costume and they had a lot of fun playing with cotton because I heard a lot of laughter and giggles when they were making it! For the sheep mask, I got this idea from the internet. I used a large paper plate and then cut a hole in the middle (big enough to see the child's face) Then I glued on the black horns for them. It's very easy to make and the kids love it!!!
 

 
 
 
 
Group Photo







 



No comments:

Post a Comment